As you know, if you have been reading my blog, my husband and I have been on the South Beach Diet for nearly a month. I lost 5 pounds in the first 2 weeks and the last time I weighed have kept it off. My husband lost 9 pounds, but he has been off the diet several times since and gained a couple back. It appears that the results are good and I like the concept of retraining your body, however, I have decided that I am going to make up my own diet that includes some things that are not allowed in the South Beach Diet.
One of those things is honey. I believe that honey is not only an excellent sweetener, but the Bible talks about it over and over in a positive light. If it is purchased directly from the beekeeper, it is about as natural as you can get. Honey contains a lot of extra benefits as well. Here are just a few:
- 1. If your honey is locally grown, it can reduce allergies related to pollens in your area
- 2. It is fat-free, cholesterol free and sodium free.
- 3. It contains natural antioxidants, vitamins, minerals and enzymes.
- 4. Honey has a healthy Glycemic Index (GI), meaning that its sugars can be gradually absorbed into the bloodstream to result in better digestion.
- 5. Honey does not expire. It has a natural antibiotic and antiviral compound that cause this.
- 6. What about losing weight while eating honey? Check out this interesting article about the “Hibernation Diet”.
- 7. Visit this page to learn the many health benefits of raw honey, including healing sore throats, building your immune system and more.
I’m sure there is so much more that I don’t even know yet, but these are some of the reasons that we have chosen to use honey in our diet and why I am going to “modify” the South Beach Diet for myself…
What is your favorite sweetener?