What an age old debate this is, and another one that I have gone back and forth on. I have never been a Sabbath observer regarding which day or even a strict observer regarding work, but I definitely have tried to set Sunday apart from the rest of the days of the week as much as possible.
I feel like the Father has been showing me so much lately… the most recent things that have been brought to my attention are holidays, which I have already shared on a previous post, then the name of whom we worship, which I will touch on briefly, but you can read more in detail on the “Meet KARE” page. And finally, honoring the Sabbath Day.
Regarding the Names of God.
In all of my latest wanderings online, the things that have struck me the most are the following:
1. “God” is really a generic name. It is not specific to the God of the Bible and does not distinguish Him. Thus we can say in God we trust. Or I believe in God, or anything like this and it can mean a variety of things. If we want to honor the One True God, wouldn’t it start with using His real name so we can be clearly associated with Him?
2. Because of this, I am choosing to refer to God, the Father, by the names that distinguish Him from all other gods, which are YHWH, Elohim, El Elyon, El Shaddai, etc .
This will take some getting used to for me, but it is very clear to me that this is yet another way to make a bold statement to others of Whom I serve and follow.
Regarding Honoring the Sabbath Day
Again, this in response to research and my Father’s Spirit speaking to my heart. I recently watched a video that stated 60 references to the Sabbath Day, many of which were after Y’shua ascended into heaven. So here are the reasons I have become convinced that the Sabbath could not possibly be Sunday.
1. There is no place in Scripture that indicates that the followers of Y’shua stopped keeping the Sabbath holy.
2. There is a movement in our time to force Sunday to be treated a certain way. The laws are on the books in our country and they have been enforced in some other countries. Why would a pagan world be doing this?
According to an ex-satan worshipper, it is because Sunday is the day of the sun. The day that was instituted for sun worship. Who would be behind that?
3. The keeping of the Sabbath is one of the 10 commandments. Why do we only keep 9 of these?
4. Keeping the Sabbath is another way to obviously worship the CREATOR of the Universe. Except for witchcraft, which refers to a sabbat that is totally different, no other religion that I know of worships their god on the Sabbath. Here is an interesting fact: in many languages, the day for Saturday is Sabbath. =)
So what does all this mean?
Am I Jewish? no
Am I a 7th Day Adventist? no
Am I Messianic Jewish? no
I really don’t want to be put in a box so that someone can say, “Oh, she’s one of those.” Have you ever noticed that is one of the first questions that comes up “Where do you go to church?” This is so we can categorize someone right away and while it does give some information, it can be misleading and cause judgment.
I also very much dislike associating with any one group as I believe this is divisive and can easily encourage pride and self-righteousness. There are so many divisions.
So where does that leave me? I am simply one who desires to please my Father no matter the cost, no matter how different it is, and no matter what tradition teaches. What the Father reveals to me, that I will do.
How I will observe the Sabbath I do not know yet. I don’t know how my husband is going to respond to this idea, but my Father knows my heart and He will make a way.
I am excited to be on this journey and see where it takes me as I seek to do His will. I would love to hear of your journey and the things our Father is teaching you!