My son, Carpenter, is the breakfast cook during the week and recently he decided to make bagels from scratch. I was a bit skeptical, as I have never attempted bagels myself, but these were very good!
Here is the recipe he used.
- 4.25 cups all purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1.5 cups warm water
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Combine 1.5 cups of flour and yeast.
- Combine water, first sugar and salt. Pour over flour mixture. Mix on low for 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat 3 minutes on high. Add flour and stir with spoon.
- Turn onto board and knead the remainging flour in untiil smooth and elastic. (8 minutes)
- Divide into 24 and Shape into bagels.
- Refrigerate overnite on bread pan.
- In the morning, let them rise a little bit and then boil as many as you can fit in your pot (with the second sugar added to the water) and boil for 1.5 minutes on each side.
- Place on baking stone and bake at 375º for 25-30 minutes or until golden.