Today is a Beautiful day of celebration as well as an extra Sabbath this week. It is the Feast of Shavuot, or Pentecost. A day for remembering the giving of the Torah (Law) at Sinai, and then the giving of the Spirit Who enables us to keep the Torah (Law) in Acts chapter 2.
There is an excellent post at Home Shalom regarding Shavuot. You can read it here.
It is a tradition to stay up all night studying Scripture for Shavuot. Isn’t that a beautiful tradition? =) May the following portion of Scripture bless you as you meditate on it throughout your day.
Deuteronomy Chapter 30
“And when all these things come upon you, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before you, and you call them to mind among all the nations where YHWH your Elohim has driven you, and return to YHWH your Elohim, you and your children, and obey His voice in all that I command you today, with all your heart and with all your soul,
then YHWH your Elohim will restore your fortunes and have compassion on you, and He will gather you again from all the peoples where YHWH your Elohim has scattered you. If your outcasts are in the uttermost parts of heaven, from there YHWH your Elohim will gather you, and from there He will take you. And YHWH your Elohim will bring you into the land that your fathers possessed, that you may possess it. And He will make you more prosperous and numerous than your fathers.
And then YHWH your Elohim will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love YHWH your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live. And YHWH your Elohim will put all these curses on your foes and enemies who persecuted you. And you shall again obey the voice of YHWH and keep all His commandments that I command you today. YHWH your Elohim will make you abundantly prosperous in all the work of your hand, in the fruit of your womb and in the fruit of your cattle and in the fruit of your ground.
- For YHWH will again take delight in prospering you, as He took delight in your fathers,
- when you obey the voice of YHWH your Elohim, to keep His commandments and His statutes that are written in this Book of the Law,
- when you turn to YHWH your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul.
“For this commandment that I command you today is not too hard for you, neither is it far off.
It is not in heaven, that you should say, ‘Who will ascend to heaven for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
Neither is it beyond the sea, that you should say, ‘Who will go over the sea for us and bring it to us, that we may hear it and do it?’
But the word is very near you. It is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can do it.
“See, I have set before you today life and good, death and evil.
- If you obey the commandments of YHWH your Elohim that I command you today, by loving YHWH your Elohim, by walking in His ways, and by keeping His commandments and His statutes and His rules,
- then you shall live and multiply, and YHWH your Elohim will bless you in the land that you are entering to take possession of it.
- But if your heart turns away, and you will not hear, but are drawn away to worship other gods and serve them,
- I declare to you today, that you shall surely perish. You shall not live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to enter and possess.
I call heaven and earth to witness against you today, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse. Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving YHWH your Elohim, obeying His voice and holding fast to Him, for He is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that YHWH swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them.”