I was going to come on here to adjust the recipe to Hamburger Soup, and then I realized I haven’t entered the soup onto the blog yet. So, here it is!
Hamburger Soup (from my beloved late Aunt)
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 1 and 1/4# burger
- 4 carrots
- 4 small potatoes (see changes below)
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1# 12 oz can of tomatoes
- can of onion soup (I just added an onion and a cup of water or milk instead of the soup)
- can of beef consomme (I make my own with beef broth)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery tops
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning (thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, sage, marjoram)
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
Cook the burger (supposed to cook it in the butter, but I never do). Chop the carrots (and potatoes if you are using them) and add to mixture, then add everything else. If you are not using fresh parsley, you will use less than 1/4 cup. Simmer covered for 45 minutes.
NOTE: Here are some changes I made this last time and I think they will be permanent changes =) I used fresh onion instead of onion soup. I substituted rice for the potatoes. I didn’t measure, but for our family, it was a LOT more than this recipe says. I just did pinches of the spices and threw in all of the leftover cooked rice. This would also be very tasty with zucchini in it. Yum!