Today I was reading online about a billboard that was recently put up in Times Square by athiests. This billboard is saying to remove Christ from Christmas and many Christians are in an upheaval about it. Personally, I agree with the atheists. Let’s let the world have their holiday and not have anything to do with it. Let’s stop mixing truth with lies and mixing light with darkness. Why should we be appalled that pagan ways are celebrated on pagan days? It is simply a continuation of history. Instead, believers should celebrate the days that their Creator has asked them to celebrate in the ways He directed them. Very distinct days and ways. Very meaningful and beautiful celebrations.
Here are some historical facts to back up the atheists claim that Christ is not part of Christmas:
- December 25th has been a pagan holiday since the time of Noah’s grandson, Nimrod. Encyclopedias and other historic references all attest to this.
- In the 4th century, Constantine and the catholic church decided to mix the pagan dates and ceremonies with the new religion they were promoting and they chose the date their sun god was born to celebrate the birth of the Son of God, knowing it was not the date He was really born. They brought over their gift giving, decorating, evergreens, yule logs, etc and mixed it all together to form a day that eventually became Christmas. They did not prostitute the truth in this case, it is syncretism. They intentionally mixed light with darkness. The darkness came first. They were trying to make their new christianity more acceptable to the pagans so they mixed the two.
- Between 1600 and 1800 Christians in America were aware of the facts of how christmas came to be and made the celebration of Christmas illegal. Famous preachers such as Spurgeon and AW Pink spoke against it even in the late 1800s and the 1900s.
So when WAS the Messiah born?
Does YHVH have anything to say about this?
- YHVH asks His people not to look at the way the heathen worship their gods and try to worship Him in that way. Deuteronomy 12:29-32
- He does not want His people to do things the way the heathen do them. Jeremiah 10:2-4
- We are not to leave the commandments of God and hold to the tradition of men. Mark 7:6-8
- Our Father has asked His people not to take pagan days and then say they are for Him. Exodus 32:1-10
- we know historically without a doubt that the origins of December 25th and Easter are pagan and evil.
- And we have seen the evidence that the Messiah was born in the Autumn.
- And it is clear in Scripture how our Creator feels about taking pagan ways and using them to worship Him.
Questions to ponder:
- Why do Paul or other authors of Scripture never speak of celebrating His birth or resurrection or do so by example for 100 years during their writings?
- Why did the early believers after Paul, in the first centuries, REFUSE to participate in Christmas?
- Why was it illegal to celebrate Christmas in England and America in the 1600-1800s?