Gluten Free Matzo


We found a great recipe for making your own gluten free matzo and not only is it delicious, it’s also simple to make.  Here is the recipe:

  • 1 cup all purpose Gluten-free flour*
  • 1/2 cup oat flour (or almond meal flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • 4 Tablespoons olive oil
  • 3-5 Tablespoons water

Preheat oven to 450.  Using a mixer, mix the flours and salt.  Slowly add in the liquid while pulsing.  If it is too dry, add water by the 1/2 teaspoonful to get it wet enough to form a ball, but not sticky.

Form a ball with the dough and pat out onto a clean counter dusted with gluten free flour.  Pat with your fingers to flatten and roll gently to make it thin like a cracker. Cut out desired shape, lift with spatula onto baking sheet or stone.  Prick each one with a fork, drizzle olive oil and sprinkle sesame seeds, poppy seeds and salt on top.  Bake for 10 minutes or until slightly browned.

We tripled this recipe to make 50 crackers that are graham cracker size.  They last 3 people a full day when used for snacking and side dishes.

Here is our present Gluten Free Flour Mix, which makes very flaky crackers.

  • 150 grams oat flour
  • 75 grams brown rice flour
  • 150 grams buckwheat flour
  • 225 grams sorghum flour
  • 250 grams sweet rice flour
  • 75 grams tapioca flour
  • 75 grams arrowroot flour

Here is the all purpose flour mix we will make after we have used up the rice, sorghum and tapioca flours:

  • 350 grams oat flour
  • 350 grams buckwheat flour
  • 300 grams arrowroot flour

Both of these mixes are based on the idea from Gluten Free Girl to use 30% starch flour and the other 70% the other types of flours.  This has worked well for us.

Advertisements

Share your thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s