We are learning a whole new way of cooking on our travels, but I thought I would share a couple of recipes that I have been wanting to write on here.
The first one is for Tomato Pie. My daughter-in-love made this for us one day. The recipe is from http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/tomato_pie/ This is not pizza. It is an exquisite deep dish pie that will make your tastebuds dance for joy! Wow! It only takes 10 minutes to put together and then bakes for 35 minutes!
- 9″ pic crust
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 3-4 tomatoes, cut in half horizontally, squeezed to remove excess juice, roughly chopped again to yield 3 cups chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh sliced basil (appx 8 leaves)
- 2 cups grated cheese (combo of sharp cheddar andMonterey Jack – or Gruyere or Mozzarella)
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Tabasco or other hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º Place pie shell in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or til lightly golden.
- Squeeze extra moisture from tomatoes with paper towels
- Sprinkle the pie shell with chopped onion, then tomatoes and finally the basil
- In a bowl, mix the cheese, mayo, hot sauce, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper to taste
- Place in oven and bake 25-45 minutes or until brown and bubbly
The second recipe is for Pickled Cucumbers. I grew up eating these and they are just the right side dish for the tomato pie! You will want to start these the night before or at the latest, in the morning so they have time to marinate.
- 4 large scrubbed cucumbers, cut thin
- 2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw sugar or 1/8 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill and/or parsley
Mix together salt, vinegar, sugar or honey, pepper and spices. Pour over the cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight. Makes 6 cups
The final recipe for this post is Fudgy Oat Brownies. My mom made these for us while we were on our special diet and we LOVE them! My favorite brownie of all time!
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Grease an 8″ square pan. Melt the chocolate chips and butter together. Stir together dry ingredients. Beat eggs and vanilla. Stir in dry ingredients, then blend in the chocolate mixture. Bake at 350º for 20-30 minutes. Cut when cool. You will want to eat the entire pan. Pour yourself a glass of milk and hide in the laundry room =)
Would love to hear your comments when you try these recipes!
Also, for anyone who is interested, we have created a blog for our family journey out of country. You are welcome to read about it at http://boquetetribe.wordpress.com On the right hand side of that page you can subscribe for regular updates.