My mom is the coupon queen. Seriously. There have been times where she had so many coupons that the grocery store actually gave HER money. Isn’t that crazy? But what about those of us who don’t shop for name brands? Here are a couple of ideas.
1. Buy in bulk whenever possible. Most grocery stores will order bulk rice, oats or other things for you if you pay up front. This will save you a TON of money. Be sure you have proper storage so these items don’t get stale. Often times bakeries have 5 gallon buckets with tight seal lids that they will sell for $1 or 2. They make great storage containers.
2. Costco can be a great way to buy in bulk. There is an annual membership fee, but they also pay you a percentage back on your shopping, so you should at least break even. Not to mention you get to snack for free at all the demo booths!
3. Don’t shop the middle aisles. This is where the higher priced items are *and* the not as healthy items. The exterior aisles are the best for you and your budget.
4. Eat less meat and dairy. You have probably noticed that prices in both of these departments have skyrocketed. We really don’t need either of these food groups as much as we think. Our family has cut down meat consumption to about 2 days per week and it really helps out the budget. Plus it’s healthy!
5. Skip the paper products and plastic bags. (Except for toilet paper, lol). We use rags instead of paper towels and cloth napkins instead of paper napkins. This saves a TON of money. We also purchased a wire rack that hangs inside the cupboard under the sink and uses grocery store bags. You can buy your over the cabinet plastic bag holder HERE. (We make a tiny percentage when you purchase through this link) This is our kitchen garbage bag. It’s small, so has to be take out often, but the bags are FREE. We just reuse our grocery bags! We also use these to line the other garbage cans in the house.
5. Use the Fetch Rewards App. You’ll save on thousands of products EVERY time they’re on your receipt. Enter my referral code, AE5QR at the sign-up screen and you’ll get 2000 Fetch Points ($2 in points!) when you complete one receipt. Download it here. https://bit.ly/2Ay6caM
6. Shop from home. This will save you gas money, time and you won’t be tempted at the checkout by all the last minute items. We shop monthly at a private online shopping club and in addition to these savings, we have also earned back almost $2000 in the past 4 years. It’s amazing!
What is your favorite place to shop bulk?